7.09.2011

Circle Canvas

I recently was on a favorite blog of mine and the blogger had recreated a canvas found here. Now, ordinarily I don't consider myself very artistic unless said project comes with detailed instructions (I'm type A, what can I say).  Thankfully, the blog I visited did just that.  I decided after my last art project that I would attempt to make my own version to hang above the island in our kitchen. 

I began by painting my canvas the color of the walls in our kitchen and dining room.  I figured I could get away with the same color since the canvas would be on the side of a white cabinet.  I also thought it would be a nice color to tie everything together. 

Then, I started just like she did and drew my lines after figuring out half of the diameter of my cup.  I moved on to tracing circles, which took forever and made me wish I'd picked something bigger like a coffee can.  (Okay, not really, but it did take a while- two episodes of Weeds to be exact.)   


Next up came painting.  I mixed my own colors, because although I don't consider myself artsy, I do have lots of paint.  After mixing up a half dozen of them, I went to work painting.  This is where I'd modify the instructions slightly.  The pencil smudged very easily.  If I were to do this project again, I'd spray the canvas with a sealer before adding the colors.  I painted seven "petals" with each of my half dozen colors, then mixed my next set of colors.  I ended up using eighteen colors in the end! 

 
When the paint was completely dry, I took the canvas outside and sprayed it with a sealer. 


This is the finished product. 



This project taught me that I can be somewhat creative and gave me the courage to try another project down the road.  I'm going to attempt to create a canvas for Owen's room, which we will be painting this next week.  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Don't you feel like canvases just make it look so much more polished (I was going to day fancier but I thought I'd sound like I was 12)? You make me want to try it, I just have to figure out where I'd hang it.... Hmmmm.

    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete