I made my version of
this cake on Monday afternoon and evening. First off, I opted not to make the cake or frosting from scratch to save time. Instead, I used two boxes of Betty Crocker's white cake mix and gulp, four, yes, four tubs of Pillsbury's cream cheese frosting. I also didn't have the gel food coloring that was recommended and just used the regular McCormick coloring since the packaging said how many drops I needed to use to make vivid colors when applied to white cake. The colors turned out just fine so I'm glad my modification worked.
I planned to make the following layers: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple, but accidentally mixed up a batch of lime green, too. I figured that with as thin as the layers were, it wouldn't be a problem. Little did I know that one extra layer made the cake too tall to fit under the dome for my cake plate. Whoops. Enter the Analon stock pot. My stock pot was always my go to cake protector, but I thought for a cake this pretty, I needed a real cake plate to show it off. Sigh. It just wasn't meant to be this time.
 |
| Sigh, my poor pretty cake is hidden away. |
I didn't get the whole thing assembled until after the boys were in bed, so I decided to declare Tuesday Cake for Breakfast Day. The boys thought they were having boring old cereal and I said, "Not today, kiddos!" Their eyes almost bugged out when they saw their breakfast. It might not have been the healthiest choice, but man, all that sugar came in handy when they helped clean the house after eating! They were in hyper speed.
 |
| Pretty, huh? |
 |
| Of course one needs milk with cake, right? Gav is all about drinking out of the jug. Ewe. |
 |
| Owen showing off his piece of cake and the hole from losing his tooth. |
Would I make this cake again? Yep, I would. It was slightly time consuming, but not bad at all thanks to the cake mix and premade frosting. Plus, the boys liked it and they are my toughest critics, so it was worth it. Next time, I just won't make too many layers!
Love this!
ReplyDelete