6.15.2011

Changes

So, I’ve decided to revisit blogging this summer as I really do miss writing and this seems like an easy way to get back into the swing of things. I’ve got a plan rumbling around in the back of my head, but need to work out a few kinks. Until then, you, my lucky reader get to read about whatever the heck I decide to post.

Right now, the boys and I are on summer vacation- week two of it to be exact. This summer is a little bit different as both boys are very self-sufficient and don’t need me hovering over them quite as much. I suppose that’s a good thing, right? We all want our kids to grow up to be self-sufficient, but when you actually see little bits of it appearing, well… that’s just another reminder the day they leave the nest is drawing closer.

I realize we still have a great deal of time before our munchkins leave us, but it seems like time is going to fly by so quickly. Shoot, in ten weeks, Gav starts kindergarten. I swear I was just pregnant with him last week! When I look at him, it seems hard to believe my little midget is going to be riding a bus, eating lunch in a bustling cafeteria, and walking to his classroom all on his own. He’s so incredibly excited about school that when I asked if he knew what tomorrow was, he shouted, “Yes! I get to start kindergarten!” Not quite… it is his birthday. Who knew school was more exciting than a birthday? Do you think he will feel the same when he’s 16?

I have to stop every now and then and remind myself that while many things are changing, others aren’t. Take for example Owen and his summer haircut. Since he was two, he’s had a mohawk in the summer. This year is no different; school ended and out came the clippers. However, I did notice one thing: he doesn’t look like a little boy anymore. He looks like a full-fledged KID- complete with a six pack. Both his Dad and I wonder where he got it; we’ve searched our family trees and can find no record of anyone having one before Owen much less even a two pack. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t switched at birth, so maybe six packs skip lots of generations or are caused by the pregnant mom consuming lots of salsa for nine months straight.

Anywho, along with the mohawk, Owen is also sporting a daredevil attitude that is causing me grey hairs. I don’t know if he’s gained extra confidence in Taekwondo or just coming into his own, but Owen certainly is trying new and adventurous things. He’s jumping in the pool this year, hanging upside-down out of trees, riding his bike to the cul-de-sac solo, and gasp, trying milk on his cereal. Now, I know this last item isn’t really Evil Kenevil-ish, but if you know Owen at all, you know what a HUGE deal this is. He’s a great eater, don’t get me wrong, but once he decides he doesn’t like something, good luck EVER getting him to eat it. He’s stubborn. (I blame his father’s genes.) In the period of three days, he decided to try milk with his cereal and applesauce out of nowhere. And you know what, I was right the whole time; he liked both! (Being the bigger person I did not, I repeat, did not do the “I’m right and you were wrong” happy dance. Trust me, I wanted to!)

What does all this mean? I guess Owen is starting to learn his mom is usually right. As a bonus, he can feed himself; for the man that has cereal and milk is pretty much set for three meals a day for life. For Gav, it means that his whole world is about to change. He’s on his way to being a big kid and I just hope neither boy forgets their mom loves hugs and art projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment