10.20.2012

My kid's pen pal is the President.

So, I imagine some children out there might mention writing someone famous, but never really do.  Last night, Owen got the idea in his head that he wanted to write Obama and I told him we would this afternoon.  I was half expecting him to forget, but Owen is not like most kids.  He decided his letter would look "more professional if it was typed" and being the good mom I am, I served as his secretary.  This was his letter and I can't tell you how proud I am of him for it!

Dear President Obama,
            My name is Owen and I’m eight.  I have a little brother named Gavin who is six.  I was born on December 27, 2003, so I’m not old enough to vote for you yet.  Even though I’m too young to vote, I would pick you if I could vote. 
I think that wind power and solar power are better than Mitt Romney’s ideas.  His ideas will mean less oxygen and less places for people to hike, jog, and enjoy nature.  I’ve hiked over 50 miles in the Smoky Mountain over the past two summers.  I’ve hiked Mount LeConte, Ramsey Cascade Falls, Chimney Top, and a whole bunch of other trails.  I love hiking!  Do you?  If Romney is elected, I’m worried he will ruin places like the Smokys. 
Also, I don’t want Romney to be elected because he said some people shouldn’t go to college just because their parents can’t afford to send them.  When my mom explained the story we heard on NPR about this, it made me cry.  My mom is a teacher and my dad is a distribution supervisor.  They want to be able to pay for my college, but it is really expensive.  I get all As and A+s right now and don’t want to change that.  If I get all As on all my report cards, I want to go Notre Dame.  I know I’d need scholarships and student loans to go there!  Romney’s ideas would make my dream impossible.  That’s just not fair.
Romney is not very nice.  I didn’t like how he interrupted during the debates.  That’s very rude and bad manners.  I think you are better mannered than him.  If Romney was president, other countries would not like us very much because they’d think all Americans were rude. 
I want you to work hard so you get reelected.  We put up an Obama sign in our yard and I can’t wait for my parents to vote at my school in a few weeks.  My parents also donated to your campaign.  Please tell Mrs. Obama and your daughters hi.  Good luck!
                                                            From,
                                                                        Owen  


P.S.  What is your favorite holiday?  Mine is Christmas.
P.P.S.  What types of cars do you have?  My parents have a Ford, Chrysler, and Volkswagen. 

Contrary to what some may say, this letter was indeed written by my eight year old.  Owen is an amazing child who has a keen interest in our world.  I feel blessed that we are able to provide our children with experiences that allow them to travel, visit museums, and more.  Owen realizes how blessed he is and he recognizes his success is a team effort.  Beyond our family, his extended Taekwondo family (he’s a belt below black), teachers, mentors, and friends have helped shape him into the young man he is today.  While our family has definite liberal leanings, we have taught our children to look at both sides of each issue and make a decision based on what they think is best.  I must say, it makes my heart leap a little when he makes the choice that betters all, not just a minority.  Just recently, he penned not just one, but five post cards all by himself encouraging people to vote for Glenda Ritz for our State Superintendent of Education.  Why?  Because he wanted people to know he’s more than a test score and deserves a quality public education.  Who knows?  Maybe in another 30+ years, he will be the one hoping to make the Oval Office his office.  


1 comment:

  1. That is amazing! What a smart kid you have!!! I am very impressed!

    ReplyDelete